Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Reserve Time for You & Your Family

Family scheduleI had a great mentor named Keo Chai. He passed on too soon and left a void when he did. I think of him every year at this time because of some great advice he gave me when I was younger.

Keo served as president of a community program I joined. I had just been made president of the local chapter in the district he governed. He knew the time constraints the assignment entailed because he had also served in the same position.

Many Demands for Time and Attention

He correctly warned me that the assignment would take a lot of time. He also cautioned that people in the organization would assume that I served exclusively at their beck and call. Many of them would call for appointments or meetings at their convenience. Most would expect me to drop everything I had planned to cater to their demands. What he told me then, applies to most small- or home-based business owners today.

Then, he gave me the great advice: at the beginning of the year, and at the beginning of each month, schedule personal time in your calendar. In addition, he counseled, schedule time for your family. Set apart time for your children’s recitals, sports, and school activities. Schedule time to court your wife and for family activities. Put that time into your calendar first. (Remember Stephen Covey’s video from last week on First Things First)

“I’m sorry I already have an appointment at that time.”

Now came the genius of the advice. “When anyone asks to meet during the time you already reserved, just say ‘I am sorry. I already have an appointment at that time.” You don’t need to tell them what the appointment is, or who it is with. Just tell them that you cannot meet at that time. He also reminded me that I would not cancel an appointment with someone else just because another person asked. So, why should I cancel an appointment with my family just because someone else asked.

I followed that advice during my tenure in the leadership of that local chapter. I continued to apply it throughout my career. I shared it with every person I mentored since Keo shared it with me. Now, I share it with you as business owners. Too many business owners find their dedication to their business costs them their family. Long hours, skimping to make ends meet, and giving attention to everyone except loved ones; damage relationships at home.

Follow good advice given to me decades ago—take time this week to reserve time for you and your family for all of 2012.

Make sure to read the blog on Thursday when I share another idea to improve your business

No comments:

Post a Comment