Thursday, December 15, 2011

Avoid Getting Sidetracked

First Things FirstBusiness owners must maintain multiple priorities. The smaller the business the more fractured the business owner’s attention may become. Trying to balance accounting, marketing, operations, production, management, and supervision demands constant effort. Frequently, business owners lose sight of their priorities. “Putting out fires” distract them from what they wanted to do.

Stephen Covey gave sound advice with his 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I suggest you study it again and recommit to make his habits yours. Two of his seven habits help you avoid getting sidetracked.

  1. Begin with the end in mind
  2. Put first things first

Beginning with the end in mind means that you know before you begin what you want to accomplish. Our last three posts outlined how to establish the end you wish to accomplish:

  • Evaluating progress at the end of the year
  • Setting goals for the next year
  • Creating a plan to achieve those goals

Putting first things first requires great discipline. Covey presents the graphic that illustrates this post. You place each of your tasks, responsibilities, and duties in the appropriate sector. As challenges arise you assign them to the appropriate sector. You try to reduce the number that reside in sector 1 through effective planning.

You focus on the tasks in the 2nd sector. Dealing with important things before they become urgent allows for the best growth. Delegating those activities in the 3rd sector and ignoring those in the 4th sector assigns your personal efforts to the most important activities that will grow your business.

I recommend you set apart time in your monthly, weekly, and daily calendar to work on the activities assigned to sector 2. Dedicating 1-2 hours a day or week will accelerate your progress. Secure both the time and a place that will reduce interruptions and distractions. I go to a college campus, library, or other tranquil place to work on the most important items.

Roger and Rebecca Merrill, under Dr. Covey’s oversight, expanded on the original presentation of the 3rd habit with their book First Things First. I recommend the book to you. I also found Dr. Covey’s video about adding rocks to your jar on YouTube. I hope you enjoy it. I found it still illustrates this vital habit with humor and visual flair. Watch the video clip and then ask yourself:

  1. Do I find myself trying to pound my big rocks into a calendar full of small pebbles?
  2. Do I push the unimportant activities around thinking that I can create more time?
  3. Do I let all the unimportant things fill my calendar before I act on the important ones?
  4. What do I need to do to change my paradigm to see a different way to act?

On Saturday we will explore how a mastermind team can accelerate your business growth

No comments:

Post a Comment