Thursday, January 12, 2012

Don’t Forget Your Business License

writing a checkI post a very short blog today to compensate for all the very long ones I posted the last three weeks.

I received my business license renewal in the mail last month. I immediately paid it using my online billpay, or so I thought. I distinctly remember paying it because last year I had to pay a penalty for paying the license late.

Four weeks later, I receive a reminder to pay the license. I figure the city made a mistake, and file it for two weeks to go over the next time I pay bills. I pulled the reminder last night. I checked it against the invoice to see if it was paid. We filed the invoice with last years accounts payables/receivables for 2011.

So, instead of pulling the files from last year out of storage (a closet), I decide to check the bank account. I’m certain I’ll find the record of the check or the image of the cashed check. In fact, in some irreverent part of my soul, I anticipated the sweet feeling of revenge for last year, when I prove to them made a mistake in sending me the delinquency notice.

I could find no record of the check or the payment. I could not find a scheduled payment. Evidently, the memory of paying the license account was false. If I’m not careful, I will have to pay another penalty for being late this year.

I, therefore, pass this advice to you. Check your accounting processes. Take a moment at the first of the year to ensure that nothing drops through the cracks—especially your business license.

Join me Saturday when I share some links to training materials on project management

No comments:

Post a Comment